Department: Human Resources (HR)
Duty Station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Report to: Head of HR Operations
Contract duration: 1 year with possible extension
Deadline: 28 February 2024
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The HR Manager is responsible for the delivery of HR ‘generalist’ services within a distinct area of responsibility. As such s/he will be a valued business partner of the local leadership team in the provision of a range of customer-centric HR services.
S/he will also be a guide and mentor to local managers in employee relations and all other staff-related HR matters. At all times s/he will ensure HR standards within the area of responsibility conform with national and international best practice.
The HR manager will also collaborate with HR staff in CAO to ensure the successful implementation of key HR processes and procedures at a local level,
- Compensation and Benefits
- Talent Acquisition
- Talent Development
- Internal Communications
The HR Manager will collaborate with senior HR management to align HR initiatives with organizational goals and objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, or a related field (a relevant master's degree would be an advantage).
- Proven experience as an HR Manager or similar role, in a progressive working environment demonstrating a comprehensive understanding of HR principles, processes, and regulations.
- Sound knowledge of local labour laws and regulations.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build effective relationships at all levels of the organization.
- A strong coach and mentor who can gain the respect of the management team in the application and improvement of HR practices.
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- Strong influencing skills based on a well-developed technical knowledge of HRM and the ability to articulate the rationale for change and improvement of working practices.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
- Familiarity with SAP HCM (Human Capital Management) and other relevant HRIS software applications is a plus.
- Professional Certification (e.g., CIPD, SHRM-CP, PHR, or similar) would be advantageous.
- Advanced proficiency in spoken and written English
- Fluency in Russian and Kyrgyz languages
- Implement and oversee HR processes and procedures across a defined geographical area and responsibilities.
- The HR Manager is an overseer of national and international best practice human resource management principles. S/he therefore will provide leadership and guidance to the management team in fair and effective application of HR practices.
- Provide guidance and support to managers and employees in the application of HR policies and conformance with national labour legislation.
- Work closely with the Talent Acquisition Manager in carrying out recruitment activities within a defined geographical area that conforms UCA's best practice recruitment and selection processes, including our commitment to equal opportunity.
- Work with the Talent Acquisition Manager to develop ever more effective recruitment strategies, including sourcing channels, candidate assessment methods, and employment branding initiatives.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to hiring managers and panel members to improve the effectiveness of UCA recruitment and selection processes.
- Collaborate with the HR team and relevant stakeholders to ensure a smooth and effective onboarding process for new hires, facilitating their integration into the organization.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of staff and contractors' payroll, working closely with the compensation and benefits team.
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to gather and verify payroll data, including working hours, leave records, benefits, and deductions.
- Manage all employee relations issues within a defined geographical area including leadership of conflict resolution, disciplinary action, and grievance procedures.
- Manage discussions, facilitate communication, and encourage effective resolution of conflicts.
- Remain up to date with changes to local labour legislation, regulations, and best practices related to labour and ensure compliance with necessary adjustments are made to HR policies, procedures, and practices.
- Provide guidance and support to managers and supervisors in conducting effective performance reviews in UCA’s chosen performance management system SuccessFactors.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to supervisors in the conducting of fair and effective performance management practices.
- Under the direction of the Talent Development team, work closely with managers to identify gaps in the skills and knowledge of employees and then support the development of annual individual development plans which provide training solutions which address capacity-building needs.
- Work closely with managers and supervisors to encourage open and consistent employee feedback. Be the local champion of a culture where employee concerns are raised and addressed in a positive a supportive working environment.
- Work with the Internal Communications team to foster a positive work environment that promotes employee engagement in process improvement initiatives that build commitment to higher levels of discretionary effort.
- Oversee the effective management of the HR database in the geographical area of responsibility. Ensure accurate and up-to-date HR records, including contracts, and personnel files.
- Create purchase requisitions in SAP, specific to their areas of responsibility, ensuring accurate and timely initiation of procurement activities.
- Execute additional responsibilities as directed by the supervisor, demonstrating flexibility and adaptability in contributing to the overall success of the HR team and organization.
Please submit your application (cover letter, CV and contact information of three references) on https://bit.ly/44w1qrd
Applications will be reviewed when received. Early applications are strongly encouraged.
Candidates from the founding countries of UCA: Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan are encouraged to apply for the position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Review other job vacancies at: https://ucentralasia.org/career-opportunities
The University of Central Asia (UCA) was founded in 2000 as a private, not for profit, secular university through an International Treaty signed by the Presidents of Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan; ratified by their respective parliaments, and registered with the United Nations. The Presidents are Patrons of the University and His Highness the Aga Khan is the Chancellor. UCA’s mission is to promote the social and economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain communities, by offering an internationally recognized standard of higher education, and enabling the peoples of the region to preserve their rich cultural heritage as assets for the future. UCA brings with it the broader commitment and partnership of the Aga Khan Development Network. For more information: www.ucentralasia.org.
UCA consists of three schools including the Undergraduate School of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School of Development (The Institute of Public Policy and Administration, the Mountain Societies Research Institute, the Cultural Heritage and Humanities Unit, the Civil Societies Initiative, and the Aga Khan Humanities Project), the School of Professional and Continuing Education, and the Central Asian Faculty Development Programme. UCA’s undergraduate programmes are located at its residential campuses in Khorog, Tajikistan, and Naryn, Kyrgyzstan. The Tekeli campus in Kazakhstan is in the planning stage.