The Senior Programme Assistant focuses on Rule of Law, including prevention of torture activities, and provides clerical, administrative and programmatic assistance to the Human Dimension (HD) under the direct supervision of the Rule of Law Officer (RoLO) and indirectly by the Head of Human Dimension (HHD) of the OSCE Programme Office in Bishkek (POiB). The Senior Programme Assistant performs a variety of information gathering, monitoring, technical and administrative services including: collects information from records and reports and prepares periodic and ad hoc reports on programme and project activities; prepares control plans for the monitoring of programme and project implementation; contributes to the preparation of background information and of reports, project documents and submissions to local and national governments; evaluates and reports on projects, specifying results and lessons learned; and provides guidance on operational issues.
- Secondary education with a focus on social issues and/or the humanities supplemented by formal training in law, social sciences, with a specialization in human rights;
- Minimum 6 years of work experience in the field of human rights, particularly in monitoring, drafting reports and managing projects, preferably at international organizations, diplomatic missions and/or international non-governmental organizations;
- Knowledge of the international and regional human rights systems (UN and OSCE in particular), and the domestic legal system and state institutions of Kyrgyzstan, particularly related to human rights;
- Computer literate with practical experience with Microsoft packages, the IRMA/Oracle system applications and Doc.In, with additional training provided where necessary;
- Ability to work with people of different nationalities, religions and cultural backgrounds;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, Russian and local languages.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- The incumbent has a particular focus on Rule of Law, including prevention of torture activities and under the direct supervision of the RoLO will perform the following duties: Collecting, registering, reporting and maintaining information on project activities by reviewing reports and establishing and maintaining liaison with partners for implementation, following up on all aspects of specific HD projects, including project formulation and provision of functional support to project implementation; in coordination with partners for implementation assesses program implementation and other related issues; report regularly to the immediate supervisor, prepare various written outputs, draft background and briefing papers;
- Monitoring and reporting on human rights-related legislation and developments, particularly at the national and local levels, using various sources of information such as: official documents, newswires and mass media, reports by NGOs and other experts, reports by other international organizations and diplomatic missions, other sources;
- Drafting, preparing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating projects, budgets, financial and narrative reports related to the human rights activities of the mission. Assisting in the identification of national and international experts and other partners; arranging the logistical aspects related to the organization of events. Provide interpretation and translation when required. Maintains the relevant documentation and filing system;
- Contributing to briefing, training and other reports related to the mission’s activities (Background Reports, periodical Activity Reports, other reports as assigned), as well as talking points and speeches for the Head of POiB, Deputy Head of POiB, RoLO and HHD. Drafting press releases and other public relations material related to the work of the Human Dimension. Attending seminars/roundtables and other events organized by state institutions, NGOs and other partner organizations, and preparing relevant memos to keep the office informed;
- Maintaining regular correspondence and working relations with state institutions (in particular National Human Rights Institutions, the judiciary, the central and local governments and the parliament), international and national nongovernmental organizations, human rights defenders, and other diplomatic missions, as requested by the RoLO and HHD. Arranges meetings for RoLO, HHD and/or HHD with officials, representatives of the international organizations and NGOs;
- Assisting and maintaining regular working relations with OSCE institutions as requested by the RoLO and/or HHD (Secretariat, Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights/ODIHR, Office of the High Commissioner on National Minorities) in the implementation of human rights activities and/or inquiries related to Kyrgyzstan and during country visits by delegations;
- Accompanies the RoLO, and/or HHD on regular field visits and participate fully in subsequent discussions, decision making, and follow up action as/when required. Prepares drafts and notes for RoLO and/or HHD on specific issues and topics as and when requested;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Programme Office in Bishkek, please see: https://www.osce.org/programme-office-in-bishkek.
Monthly remuneration, subject to social security deductions is 1023.16 Euro/month. Social benefits will include Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe participation in the Cigna medical insurance scheme and the OSCE Provident Fund.
Appointments are normally made at step 1 of the applicable OSCE salary scale.
How To Apply
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE's online application link found under https://jobs.osce.org/vacancies/.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration. Please note that the vacancy is open for competition only amongst individuals with actual citizenship of the Kyrgyz Republic.
Программный Офис ОБСЕ в Бишкеке стремится к долгосрочному эффективному развитию по пяти стратегическим приоритетным направлениям деятельности: укрепление отношений между общинами; содействие надлежащему государственному управлению и борьбе с коррупцией; борьба с терроризмом; содействие защите прав человека и укрепление верховенства закона; и продвижение гендерного равенства.