Under the overall supervision of OHCHR Regional Representative for Central Asia and under the guidance and direct supervision of the Deputy Regional Representative National Programme Officer will provide a high quality services to the OHCHR Programme to ensure timely and efficient coordination and monitoring over implementation of respective Programme Output. The National Programme Officer promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master degree in Human Rights, Law, Political and/or Social Sciences, or related field .
- Bachelor degree in Human Rights, Law, Political and/or Social Sciences, or related field with two additional years of relevant experience could be accepted in lieu of Master degrees
- Fluency in written and oral English and Russian.
- Knowledge of Kyrgyz or other language of Central Asia is an asset.
- At least 2 years of professional experience in human rights field, in particular working with the UN, or other regional or international intergovernmental / non-governmental organisations.
- Project management experience strongly desirable.
- Gender certification is an asset
- Excellent communication and drafting skills.
- Good ability to operate computer and office equipment.
- Good knowledge of MS Office (esp. MSWord, Excel, Power Point), Internet browsers, e-mail client software or equivalent software.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a diverse team. Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to deliver training and make presentations
- Full proficiency in English and Russian, both oral and written.
- Knowledge of Kyrgyz and other languages spoken in the region would be an asset.
- Ability to interpret and translate.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Regional Office for Central Asia in planning, implementing and evaluating of activities under the annual work plan/cost plan with a specific focus on contributing to the capacity building of United Nations Country Teams and Government officials in countries of the region covered by the Regional Office in implementing recommendations of UN human rights mechanisms;
- Provide technical assistance and deliver trainings to governmental, non-governmental and UN partners on international human rights mechanisms, human rights law and related subjects, with a particular emphasis on the promotion of a human rights based approach to development programming;
- Assist the Regional Office in implementing specific projects on certain topics/countries to ensure the efficient and timely delivery of outputs and the preparation of reports, in line with the agreement signed with the donor;
- Prepare reports, project proposals, oral and written briefings, and draft correspondence, as necessary, on the human rights situation as well as on the activities of the Regional Office, bearing in mind the results-based management and logical frameworks;
- Monitor political, economic, social and legal developments that affect the human rights situation in Central Asia states bearing in mind their international legal obligations;
- Maintain close contact with government counterparts, civil society actors, internationalorganizations and other partners of the Regional Office for Central Asia;
- Initiate, organize and coordinate programmatic and administrative arrangements formeetings, seminars, conferences, workshops, round tables and similar activities asforeseen by the workplan;
- Organize and support substantively, and logistically if necessary, missions of theOHCHR Regional Representative for Central Asia, other OHCHR staff members and UNindependent Experts within the country and in the region;
- Serve as focal point for the coordination and implementation of activities under theOHCHR projects in Central Asia as far they relate to the countries/thematic priorities assigned to the incumbent;
- Assist the Regional Office with interpretation and translation from and to English, when required;
- Performing other duties as required.