Under the overall supervision of the OHCHR Regional Representative for Central Asia and the direct supervision of the Deputy Regional Representative, as well as in coordination with the Europe and Central Asia (ECA) desk in Geneva, the Administrative/Finance Associate will perform all administrative and financial activities necessary for the support of the Regional Representative’s work and the implementation of the activities of the OHCHR Regional Office for Central Asia (ROCA). He or she will contribute to fulfilling the OHCHR ROCA team’s overall work-plan displaying flexibility in his or her work and to the practical needs of the team.
The Administrative/Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the UNDP Operations, OHCHR Programme staff in the ROCA and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of secondary education or equivalent with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- Bachelor degree in Economics is an asset
- Minimum 6 years of progressively responsible experience in finance/accounting and administration/and or programme/project support service.
- Strong knowledge of OHCHR rules and policies is required.
- Experience in supervising staff is an asset.
- Experience in working with UN/international organizations is strongly desirable.
- Experience in the usage of the UN Secretariat programme Umoja is desirable.
- Experience in OHCHR programme/project support service is an asset.
- Experience in electronic filing system, such as Sharepoint, or other comparable systems is desirable
- Experience in assisting preparation of project budget is strongly desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Russian.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Efficient administrative support
- Support to supply and assets management
- Support to administrative and financial control
- Coordination of Registry and Receptionist functions
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensuring implementation of operational strategies in full compliance of administrative/financial activities with UN Secretariat/UNDP rules, regulations and policies.
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
2. Ensures efficient administrative support , focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization and coordination of shipments and customs clearance.
- Initiation, reviewing, processing and following-up on actions related to the administration of ROCA’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment of staff, performance appraisal, separation of staff members, trainings etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN Secretariat rules and procedures; monitoring of staffing table and preparation of relevant statistical data/charts.
- Coordination of travel arrangements of staff and representatives.
- Organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation.
- Organization of conferences, workshops, retreats and other meetings in the region, travels and participation in these meetings, as required.
- Coordination of DSA, travel agencies, and other administrative surveys, surveys for organization of common services.
- Support with protocol matters, registration of staff, coordination with local authority on space and other administrative matters.
- Supervision of cleaning services.
- Coordination of transportation services, regular vehicle maintenance and insurance.
- Checking and certifying of vehicle daily log and gas consumption, update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Prompt reporting and investigation of cases of vehicle accidents, damage, loss or theft of items; update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
3. Provides support to proper supply and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Coordination of assets management in ROCA, timely preparation and submission of inventory reports.
- Coordination of the provision of reliable and quality office supplies.
4. Provides support for effective administrative and financial control in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assistance in the implementation of OHCHR Regional Office for Central Asia’s activities in the region through provision of support to the preparation and monitoring of cost plans, logistical management of activities and staff.
- Ensuring financial monitoring and evaluation of programmes/projects; updating, tracking and analysing data related to programmes/projects, e.g. accounting records, outputs, resources utilized, deviations/revisions, etc.; carrying out periodic status reviews; preparing revised budget estimates; reporting on budget revisions, expenditures and obligations, verifying availability of funds.
- Assistance in the preparation and analysis of programme/project budget proposals including by providing assistance in the interpretation of budget guidelines; proposing adjustments as necessary; preparing financial reports and ensuring that outputs/services are properly categorized.
- Performance of administrative tasks related to the project cycle, such as cost plans, allotment requests, grant agreements, hiring of project staff.
- Maintenance of administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures.
- Creation of vendor set-up information in Atlas;
- Maintenance of data integrity in the database, control programme; analysis of results and initiation of corrective actions when necessary.
- Proper control of supporting documents of funds and activities.
- Provision of the information for the audit.
5. Coordinates implementation of Registry and Receptionist functions, supervises Registry Clerk and Receptionist, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of efficient general reception and information services.
- Provision of reliable registry services.
- Drafting standard and administrative correspondence.
- Compiling and editing relevant information related to the work of the Office.
6. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of support and/or guidance to new professional and GS staff alike including personnel in Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and Tajikistan.
- Training of staff on the administrative and financial procedures
- Briefing/debriefing of staff members on issues relating to area of work
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the unit. Accurate analysis and presentation of information, thoroughly researched and fully documented work strengthens the capacity of the office and facilitates subsequent action by the supervisor. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.